Tuesday, March 06, 2007

No news is good news

Nothing going on here. I've been onthe couch a lot in the last three weeks since the first positive fFN. Fancy doc is away this week. I'll have an u/s tomorrow and an exam with one of his partners. I wanted to have the u/s so my cervical length can be measured. The exam will be with a doctor who has never felt my cervix before so I'm more confident about the u/s being an objective measurement of my cervix.

Can't wait to have somebody else stick their hand up me. Maybe it will be fancy doc's female partner. I shouldn't complain. It was my idea to have the check-in while fancy is away.

I'm 26 weeks on Thursday. It's such a crucial time. I want to be checked every week. The fFN won't be re-done until next week when fancy is back. Or maybe I'll shake that off since a negative seems unlikely and a positive is not very meaningful.

I just read, "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay." LOVED IT. I love a well-written book with well-developed characters.

I've heard for years that"The Wire" is one of the best shows on TV ever. I finally started getting it from Netflix and I couldn't agree more. It ranks up there with the quality of The Sopranos and Six Feet Under. I'm hooked.

Charlotte at Dosmamas is right. 30 Rock is funny. Finally caught on to The Office as well. Obviously I 've been logging lots of couch and TV time.

I finally started knitting for the baby. I'm making her a pair of booties to match a dress that will be handed down from her big sister. Cutest friggin' dress ever. Ivory, sleeveless, empire waist with a crocheted I-cord tie.

One other thought: to all of you who are pregnant or will be pregnant soon dammit: GET YOURSELF A BIG FAT EGG CRATE for your bed. It revloutionizes the sleeping while big and pregnant experience. Getting out of bed and rolling over are miraculously no longer painful ordeals. My bottom hip is no longer being crushed under the weight of me. I'm only 26 weeks but I'm as big as a house. I wish I had one with my two full-term pregnancies. The egg crate, a nice thick one, and a king size pillow to rest my belly on and stick between my legs. Fabulous.

What else? Just did some research that revealed that my brand-new nalgene bottle is #7 PC which is about the worst kind of plastic that you can drink from. The plastic contains bisphenol-A, a science project gone wrong, that causes irregular cell division in lab rats and may be a cause of recurrent miscarriages. Ave Maria.

Check your bottles. "1, 4, 5 and 2, all the rest are bad for you." Check out this link.

http://envirotech.blogspot.com/2004/03/studies-show-that-popular-water-bottle.html

That kind of shit pisses me off. Don't even get me started on the containers that I've been microwaving in. I know, I know. I thought that "microwave safe" meant microwave safe. Apparently it only means that the container won't melt or warp in the microwave. I microwave everything. I'm buying pyrex ASAP.

Check this link for stuff NOT to microwave in.

http://www.deliciousorganics.com/Controversies/plastic.htm#tupperware

Off the soapbox.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

First, I am glad there is no news to report. What was your last cervix measurement? Does cervix measurement matter as much when you have the cerclage?

Second, what the heck is an egg crate?? I have no idea what that is!

Third, I have 6 nalgenes, and drink from them all daily. And have been for years. Are there any good numbers on nalgenes? Or are the al bad? I tried to go to that link but it kept crashing my damn interent!

Good luck with the check. Post your good news after your u/s.

5:10 PM  
Blogger whatthef*ck said...

hi jen-

last msmt was 2.9-3.0 down from an initial 3.6. fancy doc said that is insignificant, normal considering the range of error in measurement. i'd just lik eto see it not going down any further.

the cervix with a cerclage can shorten so msmt does matter. the stitch can slip down and shorten the cervix.

an egg crate is a big foam pad that has little thingies sticking up like little stalagtites (or is it stalagmites) that look like the inside of an egg carton. are you with me? google it. they arent expensive. mine came as a parting gift when i left the hospital without my baby. i couldnt stand the sight of it until now.

on the bottom of a water bottle, # 1, 4, 5, and 2 are okay. remember 1,4,5, and 2, all the rest are bad for you. this goes for sippy cups and baby bottles. the link, when it works or i'll send you a different one, tells about which sippy cups, baby bottles and pacifiers are
safe.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

My cervix measurements are all over the place. They tend to be higher (according to the level 2 u/s) then what my doctor measures. My doctor also says that my bladder pushes in on it (even when I empty it JUST before the u/s) so it all seems arbitrary. 3 sounds just about right for how far you are along. I thknk that is what my doctor told me.

I now know what you mean...those yellowish dimpled foam pads! They seem to be used in packing certtain electornics euqipment too. i wonder where I can find some...I'm off to google that.

And my nalgenes say #1 on them, but I am still freaked!

6:20 PM  
Blogger Lo said...

you need to update your ticker! I have been figuring out how many weeks you are and thinking how much safer every day that baby stays in....

and I would like to share that, on the other end of the spectrum, my ob/gyn remarked (not so happily) that I could barely tolerate a finger up me. Ummm....yes.

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that I am getting used to it, the Snoogle (for all its name ridiculousness) is working out pretty well. We have a Tempurpedic mattress, though, which is sort of egg-cratish. Still, I will remember this for down the road. If there is a road, I mean.

Wes read all that plastic stuff about 6 months ago and flipped out and bough pyrex tupperware and makes me use it now. They are very pretty but WOW do they get hot in the microwave. Just a warning - use a potholder! I am always at work and have to use 4 paper towels folded up and I still almost always drop it when trying to carry it to the table.

Sorry you have to have more hands up you. I don't know whether to be proud or ashamed that I can tolerate anyone's hands or instruments up there with basically no shame or discomfort. Heh.

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and Kavalier and Clay is one of my very favorite books.

11:44 AM  
Blogger spryngtree said...

Yeah bedrest is uncomfortable, 3ish is good for 26 weeks along...at this point even with a normal pregnancy your cervix can shorten a little. Two more weeks til 28 weeks, not that you want to give birth then but that's the age when Preemies start to have MUCH better odds.

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home