Thursday, October 26, 2006

The little creature needs a name

I need to name this… pregnancy? No, I need to name this……baby. That was hard to say. It’s hard to call it a baby. It’s not really a baby. Well yes it is. F*ck that, it’s a baby. Obviously I’m a little conflicted here.

I’m afraid to call it a baby. Blah, blah, blah. I’m afraid to feel really stupid if I have to look back at this after another disaster. Blah, blah. I’m afraid to connect.

I would NEVER assume that we are having a baby. I can’t say that we are having a baby. Maybe expecting is a really good word. Actually…not. Because I am not expecting that I’ll have a baby on June 14th. I’m not planning on it. Am I hoping to have a baby in June? Yes. But that sounds like I’m not even pregnant. Argh.

I need to name the baby. I need to name it so if it turns up dead on an ultrasound, I can refer to it later as something besides Disaster #4 or Our Most Recent Disaster which is not to be confused with our current Most Recent Disaster. Help me name the baby.

I really like “The Twinkle” but that already belongs to The Twinkle and his parents. But I like that the name reflects the state of being of a tiny, tiny embryo. Grain o’ Rice is not quite as catchy. Suggestions?

Still waiting for yesterday’s HCG and progesterone results. I had a little bit of spotting yesterday morning. Ah the spotting. It’s normal until it isn’t.

It was very light. It was like discharge goo with a pink tinge. Nothing since then. Spotting and I have a long and complex history. More on that later.

11 Comments:

Blogger Married Lesbian Mom said...

Wee One?

12:13 PM  
Blogger Briar said...

I'll have to think about it. Wes and I have already named our next hypothetical dead or not dead baby. We are overachievers like that. But I'll try to think of another name. I like animal names but that's me.

12:23 PM  
Blogger whatthef*ck said...

thanks for working on it for me.

bri, did you read my comment back to you under my post "the dice have been thrown?" oh you'll cringe at the painfulness of it!

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Speck" popped into my head. The more I think on it, it might work... when you look at a star in the sky, it's just a wee little speck, so far off, the reality of what it really is, or could be, so far away. Sort of an unknown... if you could reach it, it might not be what you expected when you get there, or it might already be gone. Okay wait, that got a little morbid. Scratch that... I'll think of something.

What's your background - maybe there is a word in a native language that means 'small' or 'strong' and is also nice to say?

1:54 PM  
Blogger charlotte said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what about Spark? It reminds me of a firefly which is what my little one looked like on the first sonogram with the heart flutter and all.

2:05 PM  
Blogger whatthef*ck said...

i love the concept of speck. thanks danielle.

when i read spark i got a lump in my throat. i like that one but i'll have to try it on first.

i thought my blog didn't allow anonymous comments.

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking lil sparkle which seems along the twinkle line, but then I saw spark.

3:39 PM  
Blogger charlotte said...

Spark is really great for you.

4:29 PM  
Blogger charlotte said...

BTW, you better comment on my blog once in a while, woman.

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you could use the twinkle too if you wanted!

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home