Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Good news, weird news

The good news is that the baby is alive and looks fine. Whew.

Now for the weird news. You may recall that last ultrasound the doc told me to have them recheck my left ovary because it looked weird. When I got in there today, the tech asked if I had gone to the hospital.

“Um, for what?”

“To have that ovary checked out.”

I hadn’t been to the hospital. So she starts with the abdominal ultrasound and starts checking my ovaries. She briefly passed by what looked like an empty placenta. I started to panic a little and asked if she could check to see if the baby is alive. I said, “Because if the baby isn’t alive, I won’t be needing those ovaries anymore.” She says in a cheery voice, “Oh were you thinking of having them taken out?” This from the same woman who asked as I came in if this was my first baby. Novices.

So she checked the baby and then went back to her search for my ovaries. Then we moved to the wand that gets inserted. What is that thing called? She wielded that wand like a joystick. Left, right, up, down. Ouch. I digress. On to the weird part.

When she found my left ovary, it had a very obvious white spot on it. The doc later said it would need to be checked out by a different doc who looks at ovaries all the time. The concern being ovarian cancer. Not that it is at all likely to be ovarian cancer but that’s they’d be worried about. Okayyyy.

Later after the doc talked to fancy doc, my doctor, he comes in and says, “It could be a tooth.” Excuse me?

Apparently, as a mere embryo, part of my genetic material may have gotten stuck in my ovary, and 36 years later, my ovary may have grown itself a tooth. No f*cking way.

This is the best possible outcome that would be fitting for Halloween. The baby is alive but my ovary has grown a tooth. Charlotte asked if that is what a molar pregnancy is. Isn’t that funny?

At one point, after I reported, to fancy doc’s assistant, matter-of-factly, “it could be a tooth,” I started laughing and almost couldn’t stop. Once again, an interesting ultrasound. So I’ll go to the hospital before too long and have my left ovary checked out. If it turns out to be a tooth, will I have to see my dentist about it?

It’s not a tumah. But it could be a tooth.

Smiling here in Crazytown.

Hopefully I won’t have bad dreams about the tooth.

My baby is alive. :)

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! Wes and I are obsessed with hair and teeth balls, aka dermoid cysts. I am not 100% sure that this is the same thing your people are talking about, but it sounds the same. We once thought I had one and were going to name it Brunhilda and keep it in a jar. OK. Now you know we are way more disgusting than you might have imagined. Um. Yeah. Anyway, I hope all is fine with the ovary and that if it is a tooth, it is not going to... eat you?

CONGRATS on the alive baby!

And I don't check back in comments except for maybe once in a while. But I don't mind blog comment hijacking either. You're right - it is an awkward give and take, but it tends to work itself out with just a few toes stomped here and there. Don't worry. You're fine.

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous, fabulous news... (not the tooth!)

11:20 PM  
Blogger Rosepetal said...

Great news - I'm so glad for you.

Well, no-one could have predicted that outcome. The baby is fine - hooray! - but your ovary has a tooth??!

1:44 AM  
Blogger AJW5403 said...

CONGRATS on a live baby!!!! I am just so happy for you. And a Tooth on your overy. Never heard of that one. You will have to make sure to keep us updated on that one. Sure sound stange to me. Again Congrats!!!!

2:55 AM  
Blogger Lo said...

So glad the baby is fine!

Not sure what to say about the tooth, except excellent to find it on Halloween. :-)

4:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray!! I''m feeling good about this one. And for you to have a tooth in your ovary is so fitting.

5:54 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hooray for little Sprout!

Oh wow--a tooth in your ovary. The human body will never cease to amaze me. That's kinda Stephen King, ya know?

5:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your awesome news!!

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

horray for alive babies!!!!! and the tooth... well that's just weird ;)

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, happy halloween! I'm so glad to hear the you, Sprout, and Toothy are all healthy.

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is it wrong of me that my first thought was, 'COOL!!!'

I mean really- you could be on the discovery channel now & FAMOUS!

thrilled over the last statement in this post. WOO HOO!

7:41 AM  
Blogger Married Lesbian Mom said...

Congrats for baby Sprout and family! I am so glad everything is ok thus far. One day at a time..

As far as the tooth goes, hopefully you don't have a cavity! (I know bad joke)

7:51 AM  
Blogger Trista said...

Wow. That's just. Wow. Does that mean you have killer ovaries? That your ovary will fight tooth and... um... tooth for you?

I'm so, so, so glad that your baby is still alive in there.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hooray for Sprout!!! I am so, so happy for you.

I have heard of this tooth business before. Isn't it bizarre?! It happened to my friend's mom. I think she had a minor surgery to have it removed, but this was 20 years ago.

8:43 AM  
Blogger hd said...

Go Sprout!

As for the...tooth...oh my good god. Do keep us posted on that tidbit!

9:42 AM  
Blogger delphi said...

So... your ovary is carnivorous? I don't even want to touch that, though it should be noted that I can't stop giggling at the idea of such a, shall we say... misplaced? tooth.

GO SPROUT, GO!

10:50 AM  
Blogger AJ said...

Great news about Sprout!

Interesting about the tooth...

Dude.. you could so sell that on Ebay.

:D

1:59 PM  
Blogger Jessa Fee said...

That is great news about the baby and so bizarre about the tooth on your ovary! I didn't know that could happen. Will you save it? I'm picturing a little shadowbox on the wall w/ your ovary's tooth.

Anyway, I also want to say: I've been following your blog for a bit, and I get more than a bit emotional reading about your journey (yeah, it's all about me) so I started my own little blog just today to get it all out: http://mychemicalpregnancies.blogspot.com/

Thank you for being you!

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the live baby! And weird about the tooth, but I'll definitely be coming back to read more about it.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

I saw a show on Discovery channel about that sort of thing! Weird! (I did chuckle at the molar pregnancy line)

Congratulations on the living Sprout!

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So happy for you.

6:25 PM  
Blogger kate said...

Congrats! SO glad for the good news...and hee hee hee about the tooth! Perfect for Halloween...

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home