Monday, June 04, 2007

At last, some quality time with my computer

I have just turned on my computer for the first time since the baby's birth. I apologize for the lack of an update. There was no internet access at the hospital and I needed RM's help constantly since I couldn't do anything besides nurse the baby.

The baby (LS-I feel weird about posting her name since I haven’t posted my other two kids’ names) is perfectly perfect in every way! She is teeny tiny and so beautiful. We brought her home from the hospital on Saturday afternoon and were welcomed with signs, balloons, streamers, and a crew of family and neighbors. I've waited so very long for the day when we would bring a baby to this home. It was everything i hoped it would be and more. Leaving the hospital with her in the backseat was quite a moment!

For her first two days at home, little LS decided she wouldn't nap unless she was being held. So RM and I were holding her constantly. We were a little scared of the newfound bad habit and I had flashbacks from three months of carrying my older daughter in a sling all day. Thanks to the advice of a friend, she is now sleeping in her Moses basket and freeing us up to take showers and check email. Whew. She is sleeping great at night! It's way too early to make the call but so far she has been quite mellow.

My kids are overjoyed with their baby sister. We were taking bets on when they would want her to be returned to the hospital. My almost-five year old son surprised us by being the first to request that we return her. She was only home for two hours when he announced that he no longer wanted a baby sister!! I think we've recovered from that and my daughter shows zero signs of waning enthusiasm. One of my favorite moments was, at the hospital, my daughter was admiring LS she said, "Can I live with her?"

RM is keeping busy taking care of all four of us. My recovery has been alot more painful than I expected so I am not much help. I have abandoned the couch in favor of RM's new chair; much more comfortable for nursing and a welcome change of scenery.

My dad has gone on a well-deserved vacation with my mom and will return in 2 weeks. They'll stay for a week and then return to life as they knew it before we launched Operation Get Baby Here Safely.

The birth was as wonderful as a C-section can be. I got to listen to my "Delivery Mix" on the ipod which kept me in a happy place as the surgery got underway and while I got stitched up. (My doctor was able to remove the cerclage so I won't have to go back for another epidural and surgery to remove it- thank God!!) The C-section is a pretty weird way to go; pretty clinical and scary. Fortunately I had RM and Charlotte holding my hand and it wasn't long before I heard that beautiful cry that I'd been waiting for. Then I joined in with a huge snotty cry of my own. The baby's cry sounded like a cat's. She was loud enough to reassure me but not so loud that i wondered if we'd have another holy terror on our hands. She was put on my chest after a few minutes and I got to admire her close-up as she pretty much went back to sleep! Amazing!

Our five days in the hospital were harder than I had expected. I've been in alot more pain than after previous C-sections; I have heard that this might happen with subsequent surgeries. Months of bedrest are probably contributing to my discomfort There were several missteps with my pain medication which didn't help my case at all. That part was a bummer but having a beautiful, sleeping baby to marvel at made it all better. At least we got a nice, big room and plenty of quiet time in between visits from our kids! We also had long-awaited meals of the best sushi ever, lox bagels, and champagne and caviar!! Yum!

It still seems a little surreal. LS sleeps so much, for now, that I need to go and look at her every now and then. When she actually wakes up, I marvel over her very existence all over again. She is so tiny but so much a little person. She looks around, looks at me for a few seconds, her little arms go waving around. She is just incredible. It’s even more fun to have her brother and sister sharing the incredibleness. They’re all, “Look, she touched my arm” or “Look, she yawned!” It’s a whole different experience with two of them. Not that it isnt challenging to have to reign them in as they try to wake her up, touch her eyes, elbow me in the boob as I am nursing her, etc. I will definitely be cherishing my time alone with her.

There is so much more to say but I’d figure I’d get this up for now. I’ll put up a picture in the next day or so.

16 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Oh yay, it is good to hear from you! Can't wait to see LS's sweet picture.

I am glad you are home safely and resting. Enjoy these precious first few weeks! Congrats on a happy and healthy birth!

7:55 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Congrats again, WTF!! It's such a beautiful thing to read about. I'm so over the moon for you :)

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am so relieved and happy for you! my baby mewled like a kitten when she was born, too. just remembering the relief that sound brought makes me wanna sob. relax (as much as you can with a newborn) and enjoy!

8:09 PM  
Blogger battynurse said...

Congratulations. Good to hear from you and so glad that all is well.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Weathering The Storm said...

Congratulations! I am so happy to hear everything went well. You are such a resilient person… you deserve nothing but happiness. Take it easy and enjoy your family.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Eliza said...

Honey you just drink that baby in! Pick her up and feel the arch of her back as she stretches all tiny, listen to the grunty little sounds she makes in her sleep, take in the click of her swallows as she feeds and sniff the top of her head incessantly. Tiny babies are great. I'm so happy for you!

10:19 PM  
Blogger Clare said...

OMG, I just feel so happy reading this post from you. and I am so, so happy you got your happy ever after. You deserved it.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

I just moved your blog feed from the "pregnant" category to the "new babies" category...and I smiled when I did it. Thank you for bringing us along for the journey. Now you just may have to change the name of this blog. :o)

5:29 AM  
Blogger AJ said...

Congrats again! I'm so excited for your family. Can't wait to see sweet little LS! :)

5:54 AM  
Blogger Kendra's mom said...

COngratulations!! So very happy for you.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Cheek said...

So happy for you - congratulations! It is great to read the wonder and awe and happiness in your voice. Can't wait to see beautiful baby LS!

8:40 AM  
Blogger kate said...

Congratulations!!!

9:29 AM  
Blogger Ruby said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I'm so happy for you and your family. I appreciate the privilege of following your journey and witnessing the end result. You have your baby that lived! (Will you keep the same blog title now?)

Can't wait to see a picture.

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't remember if I said congratulations before, so I'm saying it now! I'm so unbelievably happy for you and your family!

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog for ages now, lurking! So happy you got your happy ending. Thanks for telling your story, you have amazing strength.

11:12 AM  
Blogger hd said...

I am overjoyed beyond words! Congratulations!

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home